Saturday, December 3, 2011

Unbelievable....!!!

So where do I begin?

Since Thanksgiving we have been through a whirlwind of events....Let's begin with sweet little Noah...

The EI group came by on the 29th with the PT. They evaluated Noah to determine what type of therapy he will need. They showed Lane some exercises to do to help prevent Noah from getting contractures (shortening of muscle or joints because of lack of use). They will be coming and doing therapy two times a month. They will also be helping us with getting Noah a stander.

Now is where even more stress is added to our bucket...

Lately I have not been feeling great....Tired beyond sleep deprivation....sheer physical exhaustion to say the least. I thought that I was getting a cold or the flu but boy was I wrong. Lane and I talked and the more symptoms I began to have the more we both thought that I should take a pregnancy test. I put it off for a couple weeks just being busy with all of the usual things in our life....Finally the day after Thanksgiving I got a test. I sat in the bathroom for a long time thinking.....Take the test, it will be negative and life goes on right??? WRONG!! When the line turned blue I was immediately filled with more emotions than I could handle. Excitement, joy, happiness, fear, worry, and panic. The thoughts that ran through my head were overwhelming. I sat there and sobbed. I showed the test to Lane and he began to smile and then he cried.

We are scared to death. We know the statistics...and this is not something we planned on gambling with.

We have a 25% chance that this baby will also have SMA. We have a 50% that this baby will be a carrier like us, and we have a 25% chance that this baby will be completely unaffected. We are praying for the 75% chance that this baby will be ok.

However, we do believe God sent us this little miracle for a reason. It is not something we can explain or even begin to comprehend, so instead we will accept it.

We went to the doctor on 11/30 and the ultrasound confirmed that I am 8 weeks pregnant. Lane and I began to do the math. This miracle was conceived just two weeks after Noah was diagnosed with SMA. During this time of tremendous stress I had lost 8 pounds.....8 pounds I didn't have. Lane and I were sure I would not be able to get pregnant again without help, but we were proven wrong.

This baby, like Noah, truly is a miracle and a blessing.

Yesterday we met with a prenatal genetic counselor....It was a very depressing visit to say the least. We went through the entire genetics of SMA down to the molecule level....which is pretty deep. It showed what a brutal and cruel disease SMA is genetically speaking. Lane and I are both having our carrier screening status checked as well as how many deletions of the gene we have. We will have the results in about a week. In January we will be having an amniocentesis done to see if this baby has SMA. We are praying and hoping for the best and trying our best to give it all to God.

The outcome has already been set and determined, it was determined weeks ago....it is all a part of the master plan....Now we just wait.......

3 comments:

  1. You are in our thoughts and prayers... keep your chin up! Whatever the outcome, this baby is a little miracle and will be very well loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited for you guys! Like we talked about, watching your own two children interact and love each other is one of the most amazing things ever. We also pray for that 75%, but if not those joys will still be there. I am just so amazed that after all the difficulty of getting little Noah here, the second came so easily. He has a divine plan and He knows how to strengthen you through it, whatever the outcome may be.
    -Tamaran

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a friend of stephanie allums, just wanted to drop by and say that I read your blog and pray for you guys often.

    ReplyDelete